Sunday, February 26, 2012

Crocheted Flower Hat



Right up there with broccoli and Kleenex, aversion to cold weather gear seems to be an inherent and deeply rooted trait of all kids. For a time, we could trick Anna into bundling up ("Would you like to wear the hat and gloves, or just the hat?") but she was extremely picky about her attire.  No tight or bunchy sleeves, no constraining collars, and definitely no rain boots. This season, when the chilly winter days arrived, I purchased a cute pink fleece hat for Anna.  It was just like the one she wore last winter and the winter before, only in a larger size, so I assumed she would love it like she did its predecessors.  Seems logical, right?  Silly me.

After the rejection of pink hat #2, I didn't want to spend more money on another hat that might suffer the same fate, so I set out to make my own.  For a few dollars of yarn and a couple hours of crocheting by the fire, it was a low risk proposal.  I used this pattern for the hat and this for the flower, producing the hat seen above.

I had envisioned the flower worn off to the side like a normal person would, but Anna usually insists on wearing it front and center.   My sister suggested crocheting a unicorn horn next time instead of a flower, which is really not a bad idea.   But we wouldn't do that to our daughter, would we?  (insert evil laughter here)

No comments:

Post a Comment